Thursday, November 3, 2011

Creatures!

I had the opportunity of visiting a fourth grade classroom to observe a math lesson. This was exciting for me since I am placed in the gifted and talented program; I haven’t been able to see a full lesson. I observed the lesson on a Wednesday which was perfect because every Wednesday the teacher prepares a math challenge for the students. The lesson was based on Halloween and was called creatures. The students had to find all possible combinations of the creature’s heads and bodies and record them. All of the students really enjoyed doing this lesson because it was fun and engaging for them. I think it is a great idea to pick one day out of the week to create a challenge or differentiate a typical lesson so the students look forward to that day. I will definitely use this idea one day in my own classroom.


1 comment:

  1. This seems like a great education lesson to tie into a Halloween celebration. I would be interested in finding out more from you on this lesson. What kind of a chart did the students make and how many creatures were involved? Did the students cut and paste the creature's heads or just write the combinations down. I would like add this idea to my teachers toolbox.

    ReplyDelete