Thursday, October 6, 2011

Field Experience

For observation I have been placed in Randall Elementary school. My placement is a little bit different than others because I am in a gifted and talented program called Kaleidoscope. The program includes 3 through 6th grade. To qualify to get into the program all students have to take an exam as well as get letters of recommendation from teachers, parents and anyone else they influences their education. The qualification is all based on numbers each student has to have above 30 points in all areas to be accepted. My first day of observation I got to meet the fifth grade students; they were all very excited to be back at kaleidoscope. During this time we got to introduce ourselves to one another and I got to know a little something about each of the students. I also got to get affiliated with how the program runs as some ideas of what the students wanted to research and work on this year. Since the program is different from a regular classroom the students have the freedom to make up the curriculum. This allows them to explore things that they may be very interested in and want to know more about. I am very excited to start working with the students and can’t wait to meet all of the grades!

2 comments:

  1. I never heard of a gifted and talented program that ran as a separate classroom. In my school district they have after school programs for the gifted and talented. I will be curious to hear more about your unique placement, such as when you say the students have the freedom to make up the curriculum, what does that actually mean. I will keep following your blog to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really exciting for you that you get the chance to work in such a unique program. I have never seen a program like this, I think it's a really great idea for student's who are ahead of others in their class. This is a great opportunity for you and will influence you as a teacher in the future.

    ReplyDelete